Wednesday, March 12, 2008

White Zin vs. Rose




A couple of summers ago it seemed that wherever I went someone had a bottle of chilled Rose. I thought Rose was just a fancy term for White Zin, a wine I began making fun of when I started waiting tables in 1991. When you work in a restaurant it's always a certain type of lady that orders the white zin, and I don't want to be that lady. Piernas and I have been debating over white zin vs. rose forever, so let's put it to rest.

Blush and rose wines are light-bodied and usually chilled, which makes them perfect for drinking at summer picnics and barbecues. Bob Trinchero drinks his white zinfandel as a before-dinner cocktail, and also likes to pair it with spicy curry dishes.

Rose wines are made the same way as blush wines - the red grape skins are left in the juice briefly, giving the wine a pink color and minimum tannins - but they are usually drier (less sweet) than white zinfandel. Magic Boy drinks them with chicken wings and mac 'n cheese, which usually gives her a headache.

I hope this helps all of you that have also been questioning Rose wines.
Cheers!
Aimers

No comments: