Friday, September 05, 2008

Close Call


Thank you to the good folks at Sutterville Elementary for rescuing my bird, Nipperkin.

Last night around 9:30 p.m. I approached Nipperkin's cage to give him one last treat and cover up his cage so that he could rest. As I approached I could not hear him. Our nightly routine is that he yells out "Nippy love mama"; not last night.

I frantically searched the house, I quickly realized he was gone. As you can imagine I was completely devastated and unable to sleep. I kept thinking I could hear him just outside my window, "Nipperkin wants in mama", but whenever I'd look out, he wasn't there.

So, this morning I began my search. I got out of bed at 5 a.m. and started walking the streets calling for him. When I approached Marie's donuts for my morning French Crueler, I had tears in my eyes. Mai Pan who works the counter asked "what wrong with you now?" with tears in my eyes, I told her about Nipperkin.

Mai Pan told me that her last customer had just picked up a baker's dozen for Sutterville Elementary as they had an extra guest in the office today, a beautiful bird. I said, "Mai, do you think they have my Nipperkin?!" Mai can't really understand anything I say so she just pointed to a sign posted on the window about a found bird.

I ate my crueler and hi-tailed it down to Sutterville, where to my surprise, Nipperkin was perched on the filing cabinet over Ms. Sony's head.

Nipperkin, "YOU PRANKSTER!", I thought to myself. Is this how you go about getting a donut?? After a few minutes, I really wasn't even mad, I was just releived to see him.

Thank you again, Mai Pan, Ms. Sony, and all the other good people in the area. I appreciate your concern for Nipperkin. I appreciate it more than any of you will ever know.

Sincerley,
Aimers

No comments: