Monday, September 24, 2007

RIP BIP

We lose yet another mime in an ever descending population of mimes. Marcel Merceau, popularized the art of mime, and his character BIP, was adored by mime enthusiasts and performance artists world wide. Marceau took the art of mime further than the traditional... trapped in a box or frantically searching for rope, Marcel was the master of mime, and now sadly, he is taken from us at 84 years of age.

It seems like only yesterday that I was quietly watching VHS tapes of Marcel in my bedroom, age 11, thinking of all the ways I would paint my face, "if only I could afford white and black pancake make-up from Sprouse Reitz", I always thought to myself. "If only mother and the rest of the world, would understand the importance of mime". Then one day my dreams all came true, I started working at Laugh's Unlimited, Tuesday, day shift, where I was able to practice mimery, while serving appetizers to the Capitol Crowd. I did this for three weeks straight, until I was asked to leave, apparently Laughs wasn't ready for the art of mime.

As you know, Fans of Aimers are fans of mimes....and so I leave you with these parting words from Mr. Marcel Marceau, Master of Mime.

"Do not the most moving moments of our lives find us all without words?"

~Marcel Marceau

I think a moment of silence would be appropriate.

God Bless, fans, Aimers.

No comments: